Day 2 Adventure

Today we got to travel to the Museum of Appalachia. It was so interesting and the food was amazing, I am a foodie. It was so cool to see all of the artifacts and see how they have progressed over the years. I also enjoyed seeing the things strictly related to medicine and how that has progressed through the years. We also saw what they used back in the day as a "pencil" (pictured below), it would be terrible to write with those things now, as much as we write. I also found it interesting to see the old bibles and be able to read the verses out of it, as well as what they would have used as marriage vows. It also was neat to see the coffins they used, they were so small, but an average man was 5'8 (I would have to have my legs cut off to fit in one). 

The Appalachian people did not have it the easies that is for sure. I feel that the biggest disparity and will always be the biggest disparity is their access to health care, they do not really have any. That affects all part of the human mind and body. The non-Appalachian communities, such as us, have access to those things and think it is our right, so looking at someone who does not is very eye opening.

I feel the Appalachian people value respect, family, and hard work. They value respect beyond belief and they will let you know if you are being disrespectful. They value family because that is all they know, they do not have technology like we do, so they are not always on their phones and etc. they spend time with family, which I envy. They also are very hard workers and that is because they work for what they have, nothing is given to them. 

Our way of living is very different, due to all of the things we have and how we are brought up. I envy how they live, I am they type of person that values time and being present and technology has ruined that. We are not present people, we are there physically, not mentally. 









Comments

  1. How interesting that you mentioned our over-utilization of technology in urban areas and how that affects our ability to have meaningful interactions with others. You are correct that the values and beliefs in this area are different from ours, but that isn't a bad thing, and there are times I think I would enjoy living in the isolation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Stop in North Carolina

June 3rd, 2019